Welcome to Hungerford Food Community. We love food and community, inspiring people of all ages to cook and grown their own!
Our last market of 2022 is Sunday 2 October 10am to 1pm. We will be pressing apples into juice so please bring along your apples (and pears)!
Thanks to everyone’s support of our Heritage Festival and Food & Artisan Market on Sunday 11 September at The Croft Field Centre, RG17 0HY. After careful consideration, we decided to go ahead as this is a community event. In tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and had a minute’s silence and a Book of Condolences for visitors to sign.
Pop along for a great line-up of over 40 local stalls from local beer, cider, honey, beef and rapeseed oil to scones, fudge, pies, organic sourdough bread, beautiful wooden chopping boards and artisan gifts. There will be lots of street food too so come hungry!
Find out about the Town & Manor of Hungerford’s historic Picket Mead orchard, have a go at milking Daisy the cow, making your own butter and a dairy picture quiz for the whole family. Meet some very cute ferrets, watch them race and find out about their working history dating back to the Middle Ages.
Live cooking demonstrations will include the best way to cook venison, how to preserve your veg in the traditional way without a freezer and WWII recipes for apple cake and bread and butter pudding,
With Garston Gallopers morris dancing and live music throughout the day, this festival is not to be missed.
Free entry. Well behaved dogs welcome on leads.
Parking is limited at the Croft so please see this map of parking in town:
Besides our monthly markets from April to October, what else do we offer?
- Monthly food and artisan markets with over 30 local stalls from April to October to reduce food miles and support local producers (see Monthly Market tab for dates)
- Cooking demonstrations of seasonal recipes, veg/fuit/herb seed & plant swaps and foil recycling at the markets
- Community Cook-In (Sat 8 July) bringing people together to cook with ingredients that would be thrown away by supermarkets.
- Online cooking course for local residents on a budget who have not cooked before, in partnership with West Berkshire Foodbank and the award-winning Bags of Taste scheme
- Cooking with young people at Hungerford Primary School, Hungerford Youth Club and Big Cook, Little Cook workshops for parents and their little ones.
- Funding for ovens and cookery equipment at Hungerford Primary School and Hungerford Nursery School.
- Food waste composting and minimisation tips using up leftovers
If you would like to volunteer with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org