Leftover Recipes by Ilja Harvey for Love Food, Hate Waste
250g Doves Farm Organic Strong White Flour
5g Doves Farm Quick Yeast
5g black onion seeds
¼ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ egg, beaten
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
• Warm some milk until its a little warmer than body temperature, add the yeast and a tablespoon of flour to the milk and set aside for 30 minutes and allow it to go frothy.
• Sieve the flour into a large bowl.
• Add the onion seeds, baking powder and salt to the flour.
• In a separate bowl mix the egg, ghee and yoghurt together, then add to the flour along with 125ml of the milk and mix to create a pliable dough, if it’s too dry add the remaining milk.
• Knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
• Cover and leave for an hour.
• Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees C and place a roasting tin of water in the bottom of the oven to create moisture in the oven so that the naan doesn’t dry out.
• After an hour place the dough on the table and knead the air out of it briefly and divide into 5 portions (equal sized). Pressing down and shaping into a classic naan shape, usually a tear drop.
• Place the naan on a greased baking tray and bake in the oven TOP shelf for about 7 minutes, turn over and cook for a further 5 minutes.
• Cover with a cloth or foil to keep it warm and soft.
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tsp ground turmeric
1 onion finely grated
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp salt
400g chopped tomatoes
30g ghee/clarified butter or olive oil
3 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger or 2 tsp ground ginger
30g fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped oil for cooking
• Heat up about 2 tbsp of oil in a deep frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2 minutes over high heat.
• Mix in the meat /vegetables (fish can be added later as it cooks much quicker), turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Gently fry for 5-10 minutes or until golden, turning the meat/vegetables frequently.
• Mix in the tomatoes, cover and stir fry over medium heat up for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 10 minutes to let all the excess liquid evaporate and the sauce thicken. This is a good time to add the fish if you are using it.
• Mix in the ghee or oil, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the fat separates out from the thick sauce.
• Taste for seasoning and add salt if required.